Foreword

Herein, I will attempt to archive my experiences with my dreamscape. You will find this journal filled with both normal dreams and, God willing, lucid dreams as well. I am not yet well versed in attaining lucidity, but that is not to say that I have not experienced it. Lucid dreaming is very real. I, too, thought it was a crackpot idea when I first heard the notion of attaining consciousness within a dream. I am very thankful that it piqued my interest enough to give it a shot. If nothing else, I hope that this blog can act as a source of inspiration (or at least entertainment) to it's visitors.

Sunday, March 4, 2007

Snakes & a Counter-productive Subconscious

Note: Brief lucidity

Ok, so I had a mess of dreams last night, but I couldn't be bothered to remember most of them since I was woken early by my wife and son not feeling well. I'll just recount the very short moment of lucidity for you.

I was on a path on the outskirts of a large field with a few other people. It must be fall because the tall grass is mostly yellow. The sky is very dark as it quickly moves towards on towards nightfall.

I'm not sure why, but suddenly the grass is filled with aggressive snakes. We can't see them until they pop up to attack, but I know that they are all around.

It is too dark to see now, and we begin moving quickly. The only chance I have to see the snakes before they attack is to catch their silhouette against the dimly lit sky when they stand up. I move on quickly, trying my best to kick the snakes in the head as soon as they pop up like some sort of twisted bop a mole game.

I run off of the trail, and find myself running through the front yard of my childhood home. The snakes are all around, and I can see them now in the freshly mowed lawn. The porch light is on, illuminating the entire yard. I begin to move quickly towards the house.

At this point, for no apparent reason (I have had much stranger dreams that did not trigger lucidity), I begin to realize that I am dreaming. Something strange happened, though; I began to rationalize with myself. I told myself that my sleep was too shallow, and that if I were to gain full lucidity I would surely just wake up. For a moment, I almost decided to let the dream continue normally. Luckily I couldn't let myself waste the opportunity, and made up my mind to take control.

I look at my hands. It is more of a reflex than a necessity, as I knew I was dreaming anyhow. That familiar rush blows in as the detail of my surroundings flood towards me. Its sort of like standing in a wind tunnel for a second, but shapes and colors are blowing at me instead of wind.

I only get a second to take it all in before I am pulled back into my sleeping body. As I am transitioning, I think "I knew that was going to happen". I struggle briefly to keep from joining back up, but it is no use and my bodies are realigned.

AWAKENING
________________________________________

At this point I open my eyes shortly to perform an RC in case I am having a false awakening. No such luck. I can hear my wife and son in the living room. I close my eyes and attempt to chain, but I cannot fall back asleep.

All in all, I am just happy to know I can still do it. Even five seconds of lucidity is refreshing.

I realize that this is probably not the first time that my subconscious has tried to talk me out of becoming lucid. Unfortunately, I tend to rationalize a lot in WL, so it's no wonder I take the same approach to situations in my sleep. My SC was right of course, I did wake up, but why should I give up even a few seconds of lucidity in exchange for a longer ND?

No comments: